Drummer Lee Rigby or ‘Riggers’ to his friends was born in July 1987 in Crumpsall, Manchester. He joined the Army in 2006 and on successful completion of his infantry training course at Infantry Training Centre Catterick was selected to be a member of the Corps of Drums and posted to 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (also known as the ‘Second Fusiliers’ or ‘2 RRF’).
His first posting was as a machine gunner in Cyprus where the battalion was serving as the resident infantry battalion in Dhekelia. Having performed a plethora of tasks while in Cyprus, he returned to the UK in the early part of 2008 to Hounslow, West London. Here, Drummer Rigby stood proudly outside the royal palaces as part of the battalion’s public duties commitment. He was an integral member of the Corps of Drums throughout the battalion’s time on public duties, the highlight of which was being a part of the Household Division’s Beating Retreat – a real honour for a line infantry Corps of Drums.
In April 2009, Drummer Rigby deployed on operations for the first time to Helmand province, Afghanistan, where he served as a member of the Fire Support Group at Patrol Base Woqab. On returning to the UK he completed a second tour of public duties and then moved with the battalion to Celle, Germany, to be held at a state of high readiness for contingency operations as part of the Small Scale Contingency Battle Group.
In 2011, Drummer Rigby took up a recruiting post in London where he also assisted with duties at the regimental headquarters in the Tower of London.
An extremely popular and witty soldier, Drummer Rigby was a larger than life personality within the Corps of Drums and was well known, liked and respected across the Second Fusiliers. He was a passionate and lifelong Manchester United fan.
A loving father to his son Jack, aged 2 years, he will be sorely missed by all who knew him. The regiment’s thoughts and prayers are with his family during this extremely difficult time. ‘Once a Fusilier, always a Fusilier’.
Rest in Peace.
65 Notes/ Hide
- tyeclip likes this
- sketchymiss reblogged this from victran
- curefortheglitch reblogged this from welcometocindyworld
- welcometocindyworld reblogged this from thecaringconservative
- gothic4l reblogged this from thecaringconservative
- thecaringconservative reblogged this from soldierporn
- rdasmarinas likes this
- pointycat69 likes this
- mountains-life-bros likes this
- krevhubb likes this
- execrablee reblogged this from 4narnia
- kiratala likes this
- secretlymargarets likes this
- aheartofiron likes this
- profanityville reblogged this from hinukshines
- profanityville likes this
- hinukshines reblogged this from soldierporn and added:
- hinukshines likes this
- 4narnia reblogged this from weaponsgradegains
- ohmygawdchandlahbing likes this
- rendezvouswithdestiny reblogged this from soldierporn
- jerkingherkin reblogged this from soldierporn
- jerkingherkin likes this
- lamepianist likes this
- burningthroughmybones reblogged this from soldierporn
- of-tigers-and-fighters reblogged this from thatambroseboy
- tenereandruid likes this
- nietzschesghost reblogged this from rideoutprotectorsoftherealm
- kwatts5518 reblogged this from rideoutprotectorsoftherealm
- taught-to-be-nothing-at-all likes this
- necrovorous likes this
- thatambroseboy reblogged this from rideoutprotectorsoftherealm
- rideoutprotectorsoftherealm reblogged this from somehistoriancalledmike
- somehistoriancalledmike reblogged this from peashooters-personal
- somehistoriancalledmike likes this
- peashooters-personal reblogged this from victran
- peashooter85 likes this
- wizardvarnish likes this
- letsmakethisbiblical reblogged this from soldierporn
- ducksandquack likes this
- sketchymiss likes this
- slighltymodified likes this
- despertaferro likes this
- oopsistoleyourfreedom reblogged this from weaponsgradegains
- scrub-niggurath reblogged this from weaponsgradegains
- katy-the-future-something reblogged this from soldierporn
- beth-shy reblogged this from victran
- loseegoose likes this
- thesteveoprojekt likes this
- peteyddotcom likes this